Swimming with dolphins is so much fun. But did you ever stop to think about the dolphins themselves and what kind of help they might need? At our Dolphin Blog, we explore both sides of the spectrum: fun with dolphins and making life fun for dolphins.
So if you are going to swim with the dolphins, know this: according to experts from Hawaiin-based Wild Side Specialty Tours, it can be enjoyable for dolphins so long as you do not try to swim at them or try and touch them. This is because this is the behavior in which a predator engages and it’s very threatening for them.
Understand also that their skin is extremely sensitive so the swimmer’s touch makes them uncomfortable. You have to engage in dolphin “wetiquette” which means the following:
1. Swim calmly beside them – no chasing
2. No touching
3. Keep it quiet – they have very sensitive hearing
4. Conclusion: respect their personal space.
Then there are ways you can actively help dolphins:
1. Adopt a dolphin (saving real animals in the wild)
2. Act on their behalf by talking to government leaders
3. Become a powerful advocate for wildlife
4. Keep in the loop by receiving updates.
Dolphins are fun, but they have feelings too.